Wednesday, January 12, 2011

What gives you the right?


Initially, I wanted to write this blog on the basis of an in depth analysis and commentary of my favorite television show of all time, obviously- The Twilight Zone. Much to my dismay, there are already Twilight Zone blogs that accomplish my exact former plan of action. So, instead I have decided to take my own spin on things.

So, critics and non-believers, you want some credentials. Savvy.

My obsession with The Twilight Zone started when I was around six years old. Limited amount of activity and television sets at my Nanny's old house in Collingswood, New Jersey united me with the program. My dad was born in 1960. He wasn't old enough to watch The Twilight Zone at its height and premiere, yet thank God for syndication, he started to watch the series around the same time I started.

I remember sitting on the pulled out day bed in the middle of the afternoon. My little brother was napping in this high barrier play pen and my dad was watching us while my mom shopped. The barely 15 inch TV set was placed high atop a white wooden wicker open-faced hutch. This bedroom was the former shared bedroom of my mom and aunt. It was during the holidays because Nickelodeon had a marathon of the Rugrats on and I was desperately deploring to watch it. My dad flipped through the channels until he landed on the Sci-Fi channel and a giant smile grew on his face.

"This episode is one of the best!" he said.
"What is this? I asked him.
"The Twilight Zone! I used to watch this as a kid," he said.

Season 2, episode 42- "The Eye of the Beholder" was the first episode of the Twilight Zone I watched as a small girl just embarking on basic Greek and Egyptian mythology. [Yes, I did have those sweet Discovery Kids books that had pages with pull outs, stickers and pictures of incredible artifacts.]

The Sci-Fi channel, nowadays, SyFy, offers Twilight Zone marathons twice a year- New Years and the Fourth of July.

Since I was six or seven years old, I have watched all 156 episodes countless times. I've watched the 1983 movie, but all true believers can't even watch that Spielberg-produced-desecration of an American icon straight through the first time. [Kinda like the last installment of Indiana Jones.] Yes, I've screened the more recently Twilight Zone series, but I stick to the originals.

I've ventured out into other Rod Serling staples such as The Night Gallery and The Planet of the Apes [Charlton Heston]. There was ABCs' The Outer Limits, too, that aired from 1963-1965 to compare with CBSs' The Twilight Zone for ratings. The Outer Limits was limited to only 49 episodes. Whomp, whomp.

Yes, I own the The Twilight Zone: The Complete Definitive Collection. All 156 episodes are also readily available on my external hard drive. The theme song may be my wedding song. Or at least the song played at my funeral, where my closed casket will make them all wonder... is she really in there?



Wanna watch The Twilight Zone but don't know how?
1. CBS

No comments:

Post a Comment